Giving Tuesday, a global movement that encourages people to do good is a great opportunity for you to help local charities right here in Arlington.
In the same way that businesses take part in Black Friday and Cyber Monday, the giving community comes together for #GivingTuesday, which started in 2012, and last year, more than $2.5 billion was raised.
This year’s #GivingTuesday is November 30.
You can participate in many ways on Giving Tuesday. Whether it’s by giving some of your time, a donation, or the power of your voice in your community. There are some 200 nonprofit organizations based in Arlington, VA, that could use your help and are part of #GivingTuesday.
Here are 5 local Arlington charities that I regularly support:
- PathForward PathForward (formerly A-SPAN) provides life-sustaining services for Arlington’s homeless providing street outreach; bagged meals; an emergency winter shelter; permanent supportive housing and homelessness prevention programs.
- Animal Welfare League of Arlington This local organization provides animal adoption and community programs to the Northern Virginia and D.C. metropolitan area, as well as animal rescue and control services within Arlington County.
- Arlington Food Assistance Center This food pantry provides low-income families and individuals access to nutritious, supplemental groceries. More than 36 percent of AFAC’s clients are children and nearly 18 percent are elderly.
- Doorways for Women and Families This organization creates pathways out of homelessness, domestic violence and sexual assault leading to safe, stable and empowered lives.
- Phoenix Bikes This full-service, nonprofit youth, and community bike shop teaches hands-on mechanics skills and customer service to kids ages 12 to 18 (with an emphasis on at-risk youth) and works almost exclusively with recycled bike parts.
Here are 5 ways you can give:
- Give Time. By volunteering, you can give something back and make a difference to the people around you
- Give Voice. By lending your voice to advocate for the causes and issues you care about, you can affect the kind of change that makes our world a better place
- Give Dollars. Donate to a nonprofit in honor of GivingTuesday. Consider donating to one of any of the 150 participating Arlington organizations or a national charity today!
- Give Talent. Many nonprofits are understaffed or operating on a small budget and can’t afford the talent that their missions deserve. Consider giving your skills to help a nonprofit.
- Give Kindness. A seemingly small act of kindness has the power to inspire generosity that can permeate society and catalyze change.