The 2018 midterm election is nearly here. Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 6, and early voting continues in Arlington County through Saturday, Nov. 3.
Arlington residents will be voting for U.S. Senate, U.S. House of Representatives (8th District), Arlington County Board and Arlington School Board. There will also be two state constitutional amendments and four county bond referendums.
Only a little more than half of voting age Americans actually voted in the 2016 general election. Here are 3 tips to make voting easier in Arlington, VA, so that you can help shape our community, our state and our country.
1. Get Informed
Understand where the candidates stand on issues that are important to you and the wording for the state constitutional amendments and county bond referendums:
- U.S. Senate: Sen. Tim Kaine (D) faces challengers Republican Corey Stewart and Libertarian Matt Waters.
- U.S. House (8th District): Rep. Don Beyer (D) is being challenged by Republican Thomas Oh.
- Arlington County Board: Incumbent Independent John Vihstadt faces Democrat Matt de Ferranti.
- Arlington School Board: Incumbent Barbara Kanninen is facing challenger Audrey Clement.
- State Constitutional Amendments: Read the two proposed state constitutional amendments.
- County Bond Referendums: Read the four county bond referendum questions.
2. Know Your Polling Place
If you are voting on Election Day make sure you know your correct polling place. You can find your polling place online or by calling the Arlington County Office of Elections at 703-228-3456. Polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
You can also vote early if you don’t have time to vote on Election Day. In-person absentee voting runs through this Saturday, Nov. 3 at the Bozman Government Center (2100 Clarendon Blvd.) in the conference rooms on the lobby level. Hours are 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. through Friday. Saturday hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
3. Bring Photo Identification
All Virginia voters must show a photo ID at the polls or when voting in-person absentee. See the list of ID requirements to vote in Arlington.
For more information and additional voting resources visit vote.arlingtonva.us.