Yorktown has a mix of older original homes that have been expanded and a growing number of newer and much larger homes.
Learn more about Yorktown:
The Yorktown neighborhood is located north of Lee Highway, east of Old Dominion Drive and Columbus Street, south of Little Falls Road and Rock Spring Road and west of N. Jefferson Street and Marymount University
Yorktown’s Zip Code is 22207.
Yorktown is a sought-after neighborhood of about 1,000 homes that are a mix of pre- and post-war Colonials, Cape Cods, Craftsman and split-level style homes. Many of the original home haves additions. There are also a growing number of newer and much larger homes that have replaced the original homes.
Average Price = $1,147,131
The average year-to-date sales price for homes in Yorktown as of Sept. 30, 2019, was $1.15 million. That's up 7.15% over the same time period in 2018.
The lowest sales price in Yorktown was $570,000 and the highest sales price was $2.2 million.
The cost to own a home in Yorktown varies depending on the style and age:
- Classic post-war three-bedroom Colonials sell for between $570,000 and $900,00.
- Updated and expanded homes with 4 bedrooms and up sell for $1 million and up.
- New (or recently constructed) homes with 5 to 7 bedrooms sell for between $1.6 million and $2.2 million.
It took an average of 18 days to sell a home in Maywood.
The Yorktown Civic Association is the local group that advocates for the interests of residents in the Yorktown neighborhood. The association has regular meetings and publishes the Civic Pride newsletter and maintains a Yorktown Facebook group to keep neighborhood residents informed. There’s also a Yorktown Facebook group.
The association holds an annual Neighborhood Day event at Chestnut Hills Park (usually held the second Saturday in May).
Most restaurants in the Yorktown neighborhood are found along Lee Highway, either in the Lee Harrison or Garden City shopping centers.
- Caribbean Grill, 5183 Lee Hwy. (Garden City Shopping Center) – A jerked roasted chicken restaurant that also has Cuban sandwiches.
- District Taco, 5723 Lee Hwy. – Very popular Mexican (Yucatan-style) restaurant known for their tacos, burritos and quesadillas.
- Duck Donuts, 2511 N. Harrison St. (Lee Harrison Shopping Center) – Donut shop serving fresh donuts that you can top yourself with everything from bacon to hot fudge.
- Elevation Burger, 2447 N. Harrison St. (Lee Harrison Shopping Center) – A fast casual restaurant that specializes in organic hamburgers.
- La Moo Creamery, 2501-B N. Harrison St. (Lee Harrison Shopping Center) – A different twist on ice cream using a hand rolled style found on the streets of Thailand.
- Peter Chang, 2503-E N. Harrison St. (Lee Harrison Shopping Center) – Szechuan restaurant by renowned former Chinese Embassy chef Peter Chang.
- pie-tanza, 2503 N. Harrison St. (Lee Harrison Shopping Center) – Neighborhood Italian restaurant with a focus on wood-fired Neapolitan-style pizza.
- Thai Thai, 5123 Lee Hwy. (Garden City Shopping Center) – Thai restaurant with weekday lunch buffet.
Chesapeake Bagel Bakery, 2453 N. Harrison St. (Lee Harrison Shopping Center)
Chill Zone Coffee, 2442 N. Harrison St.
Starbucks, 2441 N. Harrison St. (Lee Harrison Shopping Center)
Yorktown residents find most of their nearby stores at either the Lee Harrison Shopping Center at N. Harrison Street and Lee Highway or the Garden City Shopping Center, a strip mall, on Lee Highway. There are many stores, including:
- Bangla Bazar, 5149 Lee Hwy. (Garden City Shopping Center) – Bengali grocery store.
- Harris Teeter, 2425 N. Harrison St. (Lee Harrison Shopping Center)
- Preston’s Pharmacy, 5101 Lee Hwy. – The oldest independent pharmacy in Arlington, established in 1934. Preston’s is one of the only compounding pharmacies in the area. Insider tip: Looking for a funny card or unusual gift? Preston’s has a great selection.
- Safeway, 2500 N. Harrison St.
- Sam Torrey Shoe Service, 5267 Lee Hwy. – My go to for shoe, handbag and any other leather repairs. Sam Torrey was voted best shoe repair in Arlington Magazine’s 2017 Best Of Arlington issue. Read a profile about the store and owner, Kevork Tchalekian.
- Wild Birds Unlimited, 2437 N. Harrison St. (Lee Harrison Shopping Center) – A backyard bird feeding and nature specialty store.
Yorktown Aquatics Center, 5200 Yorktown Boulevard – This indoor pool features an eight-lane, 25-yard pool and separate diving area with two one-meter springboards. There are public swims, lessons and aqua fitness available year round.
Yorktown is a car-oriented neighborhood about a mile-and-one-half from the East Falls Church Metro.
However, residents can reach the East Falls Church Metro station (Orange and Silver lines) with Arlington Regional Transit (ART) buses including ART route 52, which runs through the middle of the neighborhood on N. George Mason Drive and Yorktown Boulevard, ART 53 via Williamsburg Boulevard and ART55 via Lee Highway, during morning and evening rush hours.
Greenbrier Park, 2700 N. Greenbrier St., is an 18-acre park next to Yorktown High School and is home to the school’s athletic fields. Park features include an indoor public swimming pool, synthetic multi-use field with track, and lighted basketball and tennis courts.
Chestnut Hills Park, 2807 N. Harrison St., is a 4.43-acre neighborhood park that primarily caters to families with small children. The park includes a climbing feature, slide and sand area.
Rock Spring Park, 5012 Little Falls Rd., is a hidden gem. It's a two-acre park with quiet, wooded walking trails and beautiful gardens.
Interested in learning more about real estate and homes for sale in Yorktown? Feel free to contact me at Meg@MegRoss.com.